As Labour party members in Sheffield, we are disappointed that Sheffield Labour Students has cancelled its ‘Why we need an anti-war government’ meeting featuring Chris Williamson MP. [Click here for more info]
We note that at a time of heightened militarism across the world, this event was too important to cancel. Cancelling it is highly counterproductive to the aim of a peaceful, progressive society we are all working towards.
We also note that Chris Williamson is a champion of the anti-racist movement and has campaigned for many years against racism, fascism and anti-Semitism. The portrayal of him as anything other than this is wrongful and dangerous to the entire ant-racist movement.
We call on Sheffield Labour students to reverse the decision made to un-invite Chris Williamson to speak.
We stand in solidarity with Chris Williamson against the injustices that are so prevalent in this country and the whole world.
Initial signatories (all in personal capacity):
- Joseph Ashton, President, Sheffield Hallam Students Union Labour, Sheffield Hallam CLP
- Lee Rock, Convenor Sheffield Labour Left & Trade Union Liaison Officer Sheffield Hallam CLP
- Joel Thorpe, Vice Chair Membership, Sheffield Hallam CLP
- Dave Smith, Unite the Union EC Member for NEY&H, Heeley CLP and Sheffield Local Campaign Forum delegate
- Joe Simpson, Treasurer, Sheffield Hallam CLP
To add your signature, please email us – telling us your name, CLP and any position in the Labour movement