Following the speakers at Devonshire Green, we will then march direct to Barkers Pool for a Sheffield TUC May Day Rally with speakers on City Hall steps which we expect to conclude around 2.30pm. Sheffield Against the Policing Bill have agreed to join us for the march and rally at Barkers Pool and – when that is finished – will have a SAPB Kill the Bill march around the city centre, handing out leaflets etc. Please feel free to join them.
Confirmed speakers include:
1pm Devonshire Green
Martin Mayer Secretary Sheffield TUC – compere, introducing the speakers
· Emmott Baddeley – Sheffield Against the Policing Bill
· Chris Peace – Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign
· Ci Davies – Extinction Rebellion
· Sam Morecroft – STUC Vice Chair
1.45/2pm City Hall steps
Martin Mayer Secretary Sheffield TUC – compere, introducing the speakers, not necessarily in this order
· Holly Johnston – Nurses for 15%
· Julie Pearn – Labour Friends of Palestine
· Maxine Bowler – Vice Chair Sheffield TUC
· Lee Rock – Sheffield Labour Left
· Olivia Rickson – Sheffield Needs A Pay Rise
Sheffield Labour Left organised with Penistone & Stocksbridge CLP members a protest outside the office of Miriam Cates, MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge. The protest was part of the continuing campaign to force the Government to provide free meals in the school holidays for vulnerable children.
Sheffield Labour Left supports the following appeal, which is an attempt to unite and organise the genuine Labour Left. Please sign up here.
The degeneration of Momentum has reached a critical point. Jon Lansman’s attack on Jewish Voice for Labour as “not being part of the Jewish community” and his demand that Chris Williamson MP should be expelled from the Labour Party are indefensible. Sadly, Momentum at a national level has become an organisation that has now fully joined the witch-hunt against Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters.
It is not good enough to call for people to join this or that existing group. We have to be honest: None of our existing Labour left organisations are, by themselves, the answer. But they can be part of the solution.
We therefore believe there is now an urgent need to build a democratic, transparent and socialist Labour Left Alliance that:
- organises democratically and transparently;
- both supports Corbyn against attacks by the right, and is independent and able to criticise the leadership when necessary;
- opposes racism, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and all other forms of discrimination and is consistently internationalist, a stance which by definition includes support for the democratic and national rights of the Palestinians;
- opposes attempts to conflate anti-Zionism with antisemitism;
- campaigns to radically transform and democratise the Labour Party and the trade unions;
- campaigns for the implementation of trigger ballots (as a step towards mandatory reselection) so that the Parliamentary Labour Party better reflects the pro-Corbyn views of the vast majority of members;
- supports and encourages struggles now against austerity and all forms of oppression.
Please sign up below and join us at Labour Party conference 2019 in Brighton (September 21-25) to discuss and decide how we can build such a movement.
We are in full solidarity with Pete Willsman and believe that nothing he said was anti-Semitic.
It is not anti-Semitic to state the belief that the Israeli state is involved in alliance with others in manufacturing claims of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party for political reasons. Indeed there have been proven instances of Israeli state interference in British politics before, as shown by the excellent undercover documentary The Lobby(Al-Jazeera).
Such a claim is not to deny the existence of anti-Semitism in wider society or indeed the Labour Party. But, as the figures released by Labour Party General Secretary Jennie Formby clearly demonstrate, this is happening on a very small scale: out of over 1,300 complaints received, only a small number had any case to answer.
While we condemn anti-Semitism unreservedly, we also believe that many Labour Party members have been wrongly accused of anti-Semitism, which causes great distress to those affected. We refute claims that anti-Semitism is “rife” or “endemic” in our Party – there is no evidence to substantiate this.
It is surely no coincidence that the audio of Willsman’s comments (who was secretly recorded in January), is only now being published. With pressure building up over the bad EU election results and the forthcoming Peterborough by-election, the real target of this latest campaign is clear: it is to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn.
We stand with Pete Willsman and Jeremy Corbyn and against the witch-hunt of left-wingers in the Labour Party!
Sheffield Labour Left Steering Committee
The event in Meersbrook Park is supporting women’s education and the Khuzaa childrens healing project in Gaza, Palestine. Sheffield Labour Left will be entering as a team. Please note that the event takes place over 24 hours, from noon on Saturday June 15 until noon on Sunday June 16. To avoid a clash with the Orgreave event, we encourage SLL members and supporters to come along on Sunday morning from 10am until 12noon for the team run, but it would also be brilliant if you could do a slot in the evening and during the night. More info about the event organised by the Sheffield Palestine Solidarity Campaign here.
We have produced this t-shirt for the occasion, which you can purchase from us for £10 – get in touch.